Week 3 - Hebden Bridge

Introduce yourself
I'm Kirsty Hall, I'm the president of Hebden Bridge WI in West Yorkshire. I'm a contemporary visual artist (I describe myself as an artist & purveyor of mad obsessive projects) and I'm pierced, tattooed and bisexual. I think it's fair to say that I don't fit most people's stereotype of a WI president!


Why did you become a member of the WI?
Before we moved to Hebden Bridge from Bristol three years ago, I was researching the area and so I started following Hebden Bridge WI on Twitter. They seemed like a great bunch of women who were into similar things to me - activism, crafting and eating lots of cake. My first meeting was a chocolate tasting and I thought, 'yep, I've definitely come to the right place'.


How would you sum up your WI?
Friendly, non-traditional, artsy-craftsy and a bit anarchic. If you like a very structured, Jerusalem-singing type WI, then we are probably not for you.  


Why would you encourage other women to get involved in the WI?
It's a brilliant way to get together with other women of all ages and backgrounds and learn new things. I'd never tried self-defence or belly-dancing before I joined the WI. And if there isn't a WI that suits you, I'd encourage women to start their own. The WI is what you make it and all WI's have a great deal of autonomy under the umbrella of the larger organisation.


What are you most looking forward to as part of the WI centenary in 2015?

Breaking down the tired old cliches about the WI. I want people to learn how radical we have always been. I'm really proud of the WI's campaigning history and the way women in the last 100 years have just cracked on and made a real difference.