Week 2 - Cottonopolis

Introduce yourself
I'm Rebecca, I'm 27 and I work as a Costume Designer for film and TV. I live in Manchester with my husband and two dogs and I have just helped to set up Cottonopolis (the historical nickname of the cotton mill district we're in) a newly formed WI in Ancoats Manchester. I run the social media and am currently building our website. And we are one of, if not the first WI to open in 2015 the centenary year (federation are checking!)

Why did you become a member of the WI?
I moved back to Manchester from London and realised I didn't know anyone locally any more. So I joined the WI to meet women with similar interests to me. Plus it genuinely sounded like amazing fun... Didn't disappoint!

How would you sum up your WI?
Cottonopolis WI was started for the local women of Ancoats and Manchester. We only opened last week but are really hoping to create a friendly and welcoming atmosphere for our members. Somewhere they can learn and have fun, but also importantly get to know each other and hopefully make some long lasting friendships.   

Why would you encourage other women to get involved in the WI?
It is a great way to meet women with similar interests. Moving to a new place and especially living in a city can be lonely and joining a WI can help to overcome this with a lot of tea and cake thrown in for good measure!

What are you most looking forward to as part of the WI centenary in 2015?

Helping to grow Cottonopolis and getting to know our new members. Also Tea & Tents in the summer, it was brilliant last  year and this year I think it will be even bigger and better!