Week 15 - Honor Oak

Introduce yourself
I’m Gila Tabrizi, a member of Honor Oak WI in South East London (West Kent Federation) and I’m the committee member responsible for communications such as publicising our meetings and updating twitter and facebook. I also coordinate our darts team. I’m an education and skills policy officer and I have a four year old son.

Why did you become a member of the WI?
I was interested in baking and crafts and obviously the WI is well known for that. What has been great is discovering topics I had no knowledge about before – such as beekeeping or aromatherapy, and trying out new things like singing as a choir or tasting Spanish cheeses!

How would you sum up your WI?
We are a diverse group that reflects our local community, we are interesting and vibrant women!  

Why would you encourage other women to get involved in the WI?
It’s a chance to try out something new in a supportive and safe environment and gives you the opportunity to meet other women from the local area. I have made some great friends through joining the WI and love learning from some of our fascinating members!

What are you most looking forward to as part of the WI centenary in 2015?

Having a full roster of female speakers at the annual meeting!