Week 35 - Long Eaton

Introduce yourself
Hi! I’m Jo Bartram, Vice-President and Publicity Coordinator of Long Eaton WI in Derbyshire. I’m a 37 year old wife, mum, step-mum (Dan, 15 and Harvey, 12) and dog-walker (Trio, 9). I work at Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham as Centre Administrator for Arthritis Research UK Centre for Sport, Exercise and Osteoarthritis.

Why did you become a member of the WI?
As a child I can vividly remember my mum holding lively NWR (National Womens’ Register) meetings at our home. When she moved to rural Wales in 1996 she joined her local WI along with my Gran. I loved hearing about the activities they did and the companionship and friendship they found in the WI. So… when I saw an advert in a local a magazine about a WI starting in Long Eaton I went along and here I am! It didn’t take long for me to be added to the committee and I love it!

How would you sum up your WI?
Non-traditional, friendly, inspirational and fun for all ages. We don’t use the traditional top table nor do we sing Jerusalem but the ethos of the WI flows through LEWI.

Why would you encourage other women to get involved in the WI?
The combination of friendship, activities, outings and resolutions makes it hard to resist!