Week 12 - Appleton - le - Moors

Introduce yourself
I'm Carolyn Frank and I'm President of Appleton-le-moors WI in North Yorkshire East Federation.  I own a retail jeweller in Helmsley North Yorkshire which I run with my partner Andy and our dog Lady.


Why did you become a member of the WI?
When I moved home to the village of Appleton-le-moors after many years working overseas, the WI had fallen in numbers to 12 and was in danger of closing through no fault of it's own.  My grandmas and great aunties had all been WI members and as a little girl I'd always wanted to join, so I grabbed a handful of ladies including my Mum & 4 of us signed up in January 2006, which boosted numbers.


How would you sum up your WI?
A friendly bunch!  We have just over 20 members and all get on, we're a lively group of mixed ages, and for a small WI we have a busy programme of events including our meetings, dinners, theatre trips, craft nights and fundraisers.


Why would you encourage other women to get involved in the WI?
Joining the WI encourages you to learn new things, meet new people and experience new interests.  There's never a dull moment, but it doesn't take over your life like some hobbies, you can dip in and out of the wide range of things on offer and get involved as much or as little as you like.  I love it that people have a view on what WI is about (twinsets, dragon-like old ladies, rural crafts and baking and dull/desperate speakers and outdated traditions!), then when they join they are astounded at what it's really like, full of fun and up-to-date in all sorts of ways, and always has been!


What are you most looking forward to as part of the WI centenary in 2015?
I am pleased the exhibition is going to be in Harrogate, and as a WI we will have a trip there.  I am delighted that our Secretary Gill Humphreys who does so much for our WI will represent us at the AGM and I look forward to her squealing when she sees our members who took part in the #IAMWI campaign on the big screen.  Most of all, I look forward to another successful year at Appleton-le-moors and to engaging & delighting our members young and old with the delights of the WI.