Week 9 - Lincoln

Introduce yourself
I'm Michelle, University Assessments Officer by day, member of the Lincoln WI at all times and am also the President.  I love my day job but I also love shoes and horror films and if I could find a job which involved both of those, I'd be very happy indeed.

Why did you become a member of the WI?
I got involved with the Lincoln WI in it's infancy - I was looking for a group where I could learn new skills, meet people, make new friends and feel part of a community and when setting up a new WI was suggested, I was really excited to find out more and be part of helping to create that.  I can't knit or bake and my crafting skills are seriously lacking but our WI is about more than that, so I felt there was something I could learn from it and who knows, I might even manage a bunting triangle at some point!

How would you sum up your WI?
Our WI is fun, friendly and fabulous !  We're a mix of both the traditional and modern with a heavy emphasis on inspiring women in whatever way we can.  We do sing Jerusalem, eat cake and make crafts - and we also learn self defence from the instructor to the Calendar Girls, body confidence through burlesque and have social trips to the pub.  

Why would you encourage other women to get involved in the WI?
The WI is amazing - I love it and am continually surprised and impressed by it.  Go along to a group, or several groups and find one that you feel at home in.   The WI should be whatever you want it to be - a night out to learn new skills, make new friends, to empower and inspire - or just to get out of the house for some "me-time" - you might be surprised what the WI can do for you and what you can contribute.

What are you most looking forward to as part of the WI centenary in 2015?
Oh the Centenary! :)   - I'm so thrilled to be our WI  President during this celebratory year and I'm really excited to be going to the AGM in London as the link delegate.  I'm looking forward to seeing what further opportunities we create for ourselves and our WI's, continuing to make a real difference through campaigns and community projects and being part of a pretty amazing organisation.