Week 33 - Elsenham

Introduce yourself
My name is Moyra Jackson and I am 56 years old. I am married and we have a daughter who is 24 and lives and works in London. I am Scottish and have settled happily into life in Essex after living in Germany for many years. I worked for a major bank for over 20 years then retrained in teaching and worked in an international school in Dusseldorf before moving here 3 years ago. I joined our local WI 2 years ago and last year was voted onto the Committee. I deal with communications mainly - posters, local newspaper articles, Facebook, Twitter and I am also events organiser.

Why did you become a member of the WI?
I was invited as a guest by my friend who was president at the time - and joined the next month. It helped me get to know people in the village and I enjoyed the feeling of becoming part of an association with a great history.

How would you sum up your WI?
Small - around 30 members  - and is very popular and active in village life. Our meetings are well attended. We have a crafts group meeting in addition to our monthly meetings, a lunch club and as a group are active in many village events.  

Why would you encourage other women to get involved in the WI?
There is something in it for everyone whether you are looking to just attend meetings or to take a more active role in the wider aspects of the organisation. And it's really good fun!

What are you most looking forward to as part of the WI centenary in 2015?

Moving with it into it's next 100 years. It's a great opportunity to tell people about our history, our present and most importantly our future.