Week 31 - Baslow

Introduce yourself
Hello, my name is Ann McPhie, a member of Baslow WI and a WI Adviser for the Derbyshire Federation. I am a Past President of Baslow WI and currently a Joint Secretary sharing the role with a good friend,
Lorna. I do not have a paid job but the WI keeps me fully employed!


Why did you become a member of the WI?
I joined the WI when I moved to Derbyshire from Kent. I didn't know a soul. I looked in the Parish Magazine that someone had kindly dropped through my door, and saw the WI was meeting on Wednesday evening that week! I plucked up courage to walk into the hall. At the time there were over 70 members - quite daunting for a 29 year-old newbie! I need not have worried because as soon as I walked into the room three women, about my age, came up to me and said, "You're new aren't you? Do you fancy coming for a drink after the meeting?" And that was the start of it all for me, 32 years ago!


How would you sum up your WI?
We are a very active and welcoming WI, not traditional at all! We don't read Records of Meetings we don't sing Jerusalem. I edit the Newsletter and Website that substantially reduce time needed for 'business' - 'News & Information' at meetings. We walk, cycle, arrange outings and lunches etc. We are a very friendly bunch! I've seen many changes in Baslow WI since joining. Our membership numbers have plummeted and grown up again and are now pretty stable at around 60. We changed our meetings from evenings to afternoons and this helped increase membership. We are flexible; wehave to be to keep members interested. WI promotion is extremely important to us. As well as working together within our WI we join with other community groups eg SportsFest and Community Orchard. We have tried to make our WI fun, informative and relevant as well as 'inspiring' of course


Why would you encourage other women to get involved in the WI?
I would encourage anyone to join if they want to learn new skills, make new friends and feel a part of something as big as the WI. There are so many things I would never have done had I not joined Baslow WI. This is one of them! The WI teaches you to try new things and supports its members through life's ups and downs.


What are you most looking forward to as part of the WI centenary in 2015?
Briefly: (a) Centenary Meeting at The Royal Albert Hall. (b) NFWI Garden Party at Buckingham Palace. (c) Baslow WI is part of 'The Devonshire Group' we have various centenary events and outings planned. (d) I am also looking forward to sharing the centenary year with all the friends we have made on social media. People from as far afield as Tasmania, Canada and around the globe. (e) My week on the blog spot will be Bakewell Show week. Bakewell Show is a big agricultural and country show. The Derbyshire Federation will have a huge marquee at the show housing all sorts of competitions, sales tables, workshops and of course the catering area - visit it for the best cake and cuppa on the showground!