Week 6 - Wiggington and Haxby

Introduce yourself
My name is Jill Crampton .. I am a member of Wigginton and Haxby WI which are two villages north of York. I am an elected member of our Committee taking the role of Vice President and Web Officer. I have been retired for the last three years, but was Matron of Children's services at York Hospital before that.

Why did you become a member of the WI?
I joined the WI when I retired so that I could get to know my community again and meet new people. Our WI had posters around our village so my friend and I decided to give it a go and we were so welcomed we joined that night.

How would you sum up your WI?
Our WI was an active group offering a diverse array of different activities and programme which suited our taste. I didn't knit or bake but I could join a book group, go for walks, lunch bunch indeed so much was on offer it was hard to choose.

Why would you encourage other women to get involved in the WI?
I would encourage any women of any age to have a look at their local WI see what it has to offer I think like me you would be surprised. The WI is developing itself into the new generation and its a great thing to be part of. their history is amazing but their desire to be relevant today is infectious.    

What are you most looking forward to as part of the WI centenary in 2015?

I am so looking forward to seeing how this centenary year develops, the opportunities it brings and being part of something that will last!