Week 7 - Cambridge Lady Birds

Introduce yourself
I'm Sophie, I'm 24 and I run my own business selling vintage clothing. I am passionate about the environment and history and I love making things and baking cakes! I've been a member of Cambridge Ladybirds WI since it formed and I'm very excited to have just joined the committee.


Why did you become a member of the WI?
I actually first heard that the WI was reforming in Cambridge via twitter back in 2012. I was intrigued to find out what it would be like and went along to the first open meeting. There was such demand in the city that 4 (and counting!) new WIs have been started in Cambridge since. I didn't know what to expect when I joined the WI, but now it is such an important part of my life. It really is a community of inspiring women!


How would you sum up your WI?
Cambridge Ladybirds WI was formed November 2013, so we are still a young group forming our identity. At our December meeting we got everyone to write down words they felt described us as a group and I was rather touched by what they came up with - "inclusive, friendly, fun, creative and forward thinking" were amongst the responses. Our meetings this year have got us belly dancing and a cappella singing, learning about sustainable food and foraging, knitting and needle felting and more! We are a crafty bunch, with an active craft group that meets every month. We ran a swishing event which was a great success and we even had a bat safari adventure on a punt! .


Why would you encourage other women to get involved in the WI?
There are so many brilliant things about being part of a WI - making new friends, learning new things, and eating lots of cake ;-)  But most of all it is an opportunity to join the largest voluntary women's organisation in the UK and be part of a vibrant community and force for change.


What are you most looking forward to as part of the WI centenary in 2015?
We've been hatching plans for a collaborative craft project for the centenary which I'm really looking forward to. Being a small part of the incredible history of the WI and celebrating its achievements in the last 100 years is really exciting.