Week 30 - Catford

Introduce yourself
 
I'm Fiona J. and I'm the current President of Catford W I.   I also run the Twitter account.
I used to work in the City but took (early) retirement and now my life is a mixture of voluntary work (mostly for Greenwich & Bexley Community Hospice), and travel.  I have one daughter and three grandchildren, who live in Northern Ireland (where I visit as often as I can)

Why did you become a member of the WI?
One of my best friends, Sue, invited me along to a social evening. I remember saying, 'Women's Institute ! Me? I don't think so!', to which she simply relied, 'I'm in it?'. So I went along as a one-off. Met lots of terrific women, ate loads of yummy food - and never left. 

 
How would you sum up your WI?
Friendly and welcoming!
We're a diverse group of women who reflect the local area (ages, ethnicity, occupation, etc), and we've always encouraged everyone to make Catford W I exactly what they want it to be. We have events for all our members interests: walking; theatre; ten-pin bowling; Supper Club; Book Group; Darts Team; Cocktail Club...it just goes on and on.

Why would you encourage other women to get involved in the WI?
If they have as much fun with their local W I, as we do in Catford, it's a must!
Plus, there's companionship, support, learning - and sharing - skills...and cake! Cake at every opportunity: it seems to be a rule? 

What are you most looking forward to as part of the WI centenary in 2015?
Can't quite make up my mind between our Cocktail Club Meeting in September - or our Cruise in December!